Modifier AQ Fact Sheet
- Services provided in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA)
- For dates of service on or after January 1, 2006, AQ, replaces the two existing modifiers, QB and QU, for physician services provided in HPSAs
- When you provide services in zip code areas that do not fall entirely within a designated full county HPSA bonus area;
- When you provide services in a zip code area that falls partially within a full county HPSA but is not considered to be in that county based on the USPS dominance decision;
- When you provide services in a zip code area that falls partially within a non-full county HPSA;
- When you provide services in a zip code area that was not included in the automated file of HPSA areas based on the date of the data run used to create the file.
Additional information on the HPSA bonus and the physician scarcity area bonus is on the CMS website. The Guide for Using the HPSA/PSA web page can be viewed on the CMS website